Let's now turn to the second part of my equation: the industry cloud. We can look at the sustainable added value cloud technology broadly offers to understand how it could be green. Cloud computing provides various ways to reduce the environmental impact of IT infrastructures, as it reduces the need for physical servers and hardware on-site. This results in lower consumption of energy, cooling, and space savings.
Thanks to the cloud, companies can scale their IT resources in line with demand and use them more efficiently, which minimizes consumption and the associated costs. Green managed services providers can also host enterprise data and digital applications in environmentally friendly data centers that rely on renewable energy sources.
By helping to reduce enterprises’ ecological footprints and promoting environmentally friendly business practices, the cloud can widely contribute to sustainability. Combined with industry clouds, developing industry-specific solutions enables more sustainable operations in various sectors of the economy.
What is an industry cloud?
An industry cloud differs from “normal” cloud services in various aspects. To be classified as such, it must fulfill specific criteria. Its characteristic features are, among others:
- Industry-specific orientation: an industry cloud is tailored to the needs and use cases of a specific sector, such as healthcare, manufacturing, or financial services
- Vertical integration: from production to compliance, it integrates various aspects of a business, enabling comprehensive oversight and control
- Data analysis: it provides real-time insights to improve decision-making
- Security and compliance: it includes enhanced security and compliance mechanisms to ensure the protection of sensitive data in specific industries
- Scalability: it is scalable and flexible to meet changing industry requirements
- IoT integration: it collects and processes data from IoT devices, which are crucial for monitoring systems and processes
- Industry-specific applications: it has an extensive partner network behind specialized applications for industry-specific requirements
Industry + industry cloud = green?
Organizations are under pressure to develop sustainable business processes quickly. My formula may represent a simplified link between cloud platforms and environmental friendliness. The actual influencing factors are complex, vary from sector to sector, and require consideration of further aspects.
Using industry cloud solutions alone does not guarantee greater sustainability, but they can act as a tool to promote and accelerate sustainable operations. For example, they can support energy savings and resource efficiencies. The result depends on various factors, such as the respective sector’s overall sustainability efforts and the industry cloud’s effectiveness.
Nevertheless, my initial formula is more logical than Pippi's playful worldview. With the industry cloud guiding companies’ integration of sustainable practices through special cloud solutions, we can establish more environmentally friendly business processes in the long run. This enables us to shape the world a little more the way we like it: more social, more sustainable, and green. Contact us if you’d like to explore industry cloud solutions for your enterprise.